Ledbetter Insurance has been providing car insurance for Iowa residents since 1988. We offer automobile coverage from minimum auto liability limits to high physical damage insurance on expensive antique autos. As an independent agent we can select from one of our many insurance companies to find you the best coverage and rate. Combine your home and auto and save even more with a multi-policy discount. Several discounts are available, multi-auto, mature driver, safe driver, good student and more.
Iowa Motorist Information for Iowa Residents.
Here are some points of interest regarding driving rules and regulation in Iowa.
- Iowa has no requirements regarding motorcycle riding (for example, neither helmets nor goggles are required).
Rural Interstates: Cars 70, Trucks 70
Urban Interstates: Cars 55, Trucks 55
Other Limited Access Roads: Cars 65, Trucks 65
These speed limits apply unless a different limit is posted.
Speed limits are absolute–exceeding the speed limit is illegal per se (regardless of whether it was safe under the specific conditions).
Speed Limits Enforcement Techniques
Enforced through use of:
Automated Speed Enforcement: No
Ticket Payment Methods
Consult your ticket or clerk of courts
Trial By Declaration Allowed
Jury Trial Allowed
Member of Nonresident Compact
Member of Driver License Compact
When and Where to File Accident Reports
Accidents involving death or personal injury must be reported immediately to the local authorities and (if the accident results in death, personal injury, or property damage exceeding $500) within 72 hours to the Iowa Department of Transporta-tion, Office of Driver Services, Park Fair Mall, 100 Euclid, P.O. Box 9204, Des Moines IA 50306-9204. An accident must also be reported to the Chief of Police in cities with a population of 15,000 or more.
Resident Insurance Requirements
Liability insurance is required (although some states allow posting a cash bond or such as an alternative)
Minimum Coverage Required:
Injury to one person: $20,000
All injuries: $40,000
Property Damage: $15,000
Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage is required
Novice Drivers: All cell phone use prohibited, for holders of restricted or intermediate licenses, using primary enforcement
School Bus Drivers: No special restrictions
All Drivers: Text-messaging prohibited, using secondary enforcement
- Open intoxicants are prohibited in the vehicle unless carried in trunk or area out of reach of driver.
- The BAC level is .08%.
- Iowa has an administrative license suspension law and an implied consent law. The breathalyzer refusal penalty is a 240-day driver’s license revocation for first offense.
- Handguns may not be carried in a loaded or accessible condition; rifles and shotguns must be unloaded and cased yet may be accessible to passengers.
- Studded tires are permitted from November 1 to April 1.
- Tire chains are not required.
- Iowa has a seat belt law with primary enforcement for all front seat occupants.
- Iowa has a mandatory child restraint law for passengers under 7 years of age. Children under age 3 must use approved car safety seats.
- Iowa does not have a mandatory motorcycle helmet law.
- Registration and insurance must be carried in the vehicle.
From City-Data 2013
Auto Insurance Quotes for residents of Iowa
Get Your Auto Insurance Quote Online or CALL 1-877-901-5544 / 1-877-902-5544